Friday 30 October 2009

Almond Tree and the story of Fanny Crosby


Our Tuesday's are devoted to helping out with the Almond Tree Ministry at our Church. A bus is laid on to collect everyone and we assemble for a 2 course meal (provided by Rhondda Cynon Taff Meals on Wheels service) before enjoying a time of worship. This week our retired Pastor friend, Billy Stewart, ably assisted by his talented wife Jen took us on a musical journey through the life of the legendary American Methodist hymn writer Fanny Crosby. During her 95 years Fanny, although blinded by an incompetent doctor at the age of 6 weeks, wrote over 8,000 hymns. What an inspiration she was! She composed poems and hymns in her mind and then dictated them. She was also renowned as a preacher and was never bitter about her disability stating that "When I get to heaven, the first face that shall every gladden my sight will be that of my Saviour."

We were waving flags in praise as we all sang along with Billy and Jen some of the famous Crosby hymns including my favourite "Blessed Assurance". Sadly I forgot to take my camera along but here is a picture of some of our dear Almond Tree friends at an earlier meeting. We love them all dearly and give thanks for the various ways that they support the Widow's Mite Project in Romania.

1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for reminding us of the remarkable Fanny Crosby. Today is the 159th anniversary of her conversion. To learn more about her, I invite you to check out my daily blog, Wordwise Hymns. God bless.