Monday 17 August 2009

Getting the teeth sorted and precious time with the babies

Whow - is it hot here today!! I am up bright and early and with my gnashers sparkling clean, I am out in the heat making my way to a dentist in the centre of the city. The crusts on the delicious bread here are somewhat tough and since arriving I have lost 2 fillings - one a very deep one!! When living in Romania Pastor Jackie put me in touch with her dentist, who was very professional in fitting me with 2 plates at a fraction of the price that I would pay back home. However, Laura has since moved on and so today I am at the mercy of an unknown. I guess it was like stepping back in time a little when I observed the treatment room and I put my trust in God as I sat in the chair. I explained that I was happy to pay for any injections needed but this was not an option and it was straight in with the drill!! Today was a temporary job and I have to return on Friday for a more permanent solution - I am praying that no more drilling is required.

My relief soon turned to joy as I made my way to the city hospital to spend time with God's little beauties, stopping off on route at a pharmacy to buy cream to hopefully heal some raw bottoms. A member of staff had made a request claiming there was nothing in stock - the normal practice is to change babies 3 times a day only.

Today I am concentrating on the top floor of the unit where there are 3 little beauties N, D and one I have nicknamed Popi. I give thanks that their cots are clean but they are looking forlorn and staring into the distance. Two of them in a rear room are like spotty dogs with their faces covered in mosquito bites - there are no screens on the windows!Their names are written on elasticated tape stuck to the top of the cot. Little N is probably 3 months at a guess but very very small, little D probably 5 months and little Popi around 7 months. Soon the milk arrives in thick glass bottles with teats pressed on. The normal practice is to feed them in their cots with bottles propped up with blankets. Today I guess is a treat day as I feed each of them cradled in my arms and we get the biggest burbs afterwards! Little N is new and takes a while to sum me up but little D is full of smiles as we already know each other. I recognize little Popi from my April/May trip. She has a line in her head and the biggest blue eyes and long eyelashes you ever saw. You can't help but fall in love with her - after we get to know each other again soon the smiles appear. Her backround is very sad - she has a cleft pallet and her mother abandoned her at birth. Initially her father visited but he too now has chosen to walk away. She is truly the most beautiful little girl and I pray that God will find her a home full of love. Please join me in prayer for all these forgotten children. Please also pray that Jesus will speak into the hearts of the staff and that funding will be made available to improve conditions.

It's a long walk back to the apartment and I am using every bit of shade I can find whilst sipping warm water from my rucksack! My clothes are stuck to me and it's freshen up time before flopping onto the bed for 5 mins after my return. Mamma Maria has a nice meal waiting before I get started on some admin and preparation work for the Mocrea hospital visit tomorrow.

Prayer required please because my diary has been missing for 2 days - my last resort is the Food Bank where I spent time on Saturday. Lots more to write on the Widow's Mite project but here are a few photos.

No comments: