Thursday 13 August 2009

Rural Life



Just wanted to share with you a few pictures of rural life here. The hay making methods remind me of life on the farm when I was a very young child - some 50 years ago. Many people are stacking up on winter wood which is often transported in huge trunks via horse and cart. Most villages homes and some city ones too heat with wood burning stoves. Fields of sunflowers are now drying ready for harvesting in September and the road sides and markets are full of people selling everything from fresh melons to plums, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, pears, apples etc. I love the delicious summer fruit and vegetables here and really miss them when I return home. Most families preserve the summer supply in readiness for winter.

1 comment:

Ray J. said...

I too have experience with scythe (oh! my back!) and hair full of hay seeds after driving a horse & cart laden with hay. Those high pitch "squeaks" as the scythe disects yet another fieldmouse, or frog, or indeed a personal squeak from me, as I slice a fingertip whilst sharpening the blade. Like me I'm sure our Romanian friends would rather be modern than maimed. I'm getting too old for nostalgia (g).
Nice pics! Nice weather! God bless! Ray