Monday 7 December 2009

Back with the little treasures!

Today it was necessary for Wayne and I to go in different directions on Ministry work. My time was spent at the hospital caring for the beautiful abandoned babies. However, after getting through the main security check I found the doors locked to the baby wards. There was a notice to say that the wards had been closed from 2nd November due to the swine flue. I was third in the queue - first a policemen was allowed in and out, so I felt there was hope. I got chatting to a young mother and child accompanied by the grandmother who told me they had been sent to see Doctor Janta. I knew that he was the chief baby doctor and we had always had a good relationship. I stuck with the little family and when they were invited in to his office I went along and asked if I could have a word before he went into the consultation. I explained that I hoped to be able to spend some time with the abandoned babies. He was pleased to see me and when I confirmed that I had not had the flue or been in contact with anyone with it, he assured me there would be no problem and if anyone queried my presence then I should refer them to him. I gave God all the thanks.

Between the 2 floors there were 20 abandoned babies. I spoke to the staff about the babies needs and was told that there was no funds available to treat their sore bottoms or dry skin. I give thanks that God is able to use us to provide such essential items.

I had such a blessed few hours caring for these beautiful gifts from God and as I cradled and fed each one the love in my heart just overflowed. I admit I sometimes struggle trying to understand how a parent can give them up but then I take a grip of myself as I realise I am at the point of being judgemental. This is an oppressive country that is on it's knees financially - many parents simply cannot afford to feed their children and so deliver them to the hospital sick. Many chose not to bond with them and simply sign the papers handing them over to the state. Other parents refuse to legally hand them over and the children are returned home time and time again only to be brought back in malnourished condition. In such situations the State can do nothing until the child reaches the age of 2. It is incredibly sad and of course there is always the other side of the coin where some parents neglect and abuse the children. I do give thanks that some are eventually fostered whilst others go into Children's Homes.

I respect hospital policy in not publishing any photographs of the day's events.

No comments: