Sunday 19 December 2010

A place of extremes

Romania is a place of extremes - not only regarding the weather with the cold winters and the boiling summers with lots of mosquitos.  It is normal to see a BMW with blacked out windows driven by a rich businessman, followed by a horse and cart and then an old man on a bike.    When I first lived in Arad on the edge of the city - on the one side there was a humble family who ran a mini farm in their back garden - cows, sheep, pigs which were frequently slaughtered, rabbits and chickens.  A rooster used to wake me up every morning. On the other side I never once saw my neighbours whom I believe were rich Italian businessmen.  They used to drive up and the electronic front gates would open.  In my back garden was an old man with his paralised wife who lived in very poor conditions with no mod cons.

As most of you know Jackie and myself  continue to work with a lot of poor Sigani (Roma) families which is often very challenging.  On the one side of the scale you have families living in shacks with no bulletin (ID card) who have little hope of finding a job because they have no education and also because of  prejudice.  On the other side  you have the very rich gypsies who travel to other European countries to make money by various methods and return to Romania to build mansions and drive around in Mercedes. 

Whilst the main city roads are being upgraded many of the side roads are full of huge pot holes that can wreck your car.  Begging is rife and you will find prostitutes on most of the city approach roads.  My second home in Arad was on a dirt track.  Everyone needs to pay attention when walking in the dark side streets because you can easily drop into an open manhole without warning.  Another thing to look out for are horses and carts on dark unlit country roads.   


 










One of the things that hit me today when I was taking phographs at the Church in Vinga today was the oppression written over the faces of the people.  Praise God they come regularly to Church which gives them hope but the sadness of their lives always comes through even in the eyes of the children.  I had to prompt some of the children to smile for the camera.  Having said that they are such  hospitable and friendly people who have and continue to suffer hardship with all the recent cutbacks in wages and increase in VAT.  I asked one person how they manage and he said "You forget, we have lived through communism!"   

I love this country and it's people and am already looking forward to my next trip.  I take home so much in my heart.  Thank you Lord for allowing me to be your humble servant. 

No comments: