Sunday 9 December 2012

Feeding and clothing the homeless

Pastor Jackie preached a wonderful Word from Isaiah 58 last week about True Fasting with reference to sharing  food with the hungry, providing the wanderer with shelter and clothing them.  Unlike when I first came to Romania there are now a few night shelters for the homeless which are open from 8 pm until 8 am.  We will be visiting one next week with gifts.  There is also a day centre where I understand they can also get soup during the day plus a shower.



When I lived in this city - I had a weekly street ministry for the homeless which included drinks, a hot meal and some cake.     Sometimes I would also go down the railway station at night (where they tended to gather) with hot drinks in flasks.  I recall one occasion when Pastor Jackie came out with me in the day and she was preaching on the back of her truck.  There is a lot of prejudice here against the homeless and we both nearly got arrested.  At one point we had 5 police officers gathered around us.  I asked Jackie what was the worse thing that could happen to us and she said we could get locked up in the cells or get a fine.  We prayed and neither applied.  I remember us driving away and yelling "Thank You Lord".  My feeding programme continued but further down the tracks from the Station itself.

Here is Adina with friends from her Church plus one of the Pastors fulfilling the Word of God by feeding the homeless and distributing clothes.

No comments: