Wednesday 19 December 2012

My last day and its hard

This is my last day in Romania and my last blog for a while as I return to Christmas preparations with my family back home.  I love my family and look forward to seeing them but leaving here is always difficult for me.  There are so many needs - we have seen so much today.  I will try and cover our activities but there is still much to do and I need to pack because I leave at 4 am tomorrow.

Firstly today we visited a double amputee who lives with her son and grandson in this area She is aged 65,  has been a diabetic for 50 years and a widow for 5 years.  Her husband was paralised for 8 years.   In 2010 she lost one leg and this November she lost the other one - both high above the knee.  She is now confined to her bed settee.  She said she was so saddened because she did not receive any aftercare from the surgeon and a nurse calls every 4 days to change the dressing but she has to pay the equivalent of 4 pounds each time.  The last leg took a year to heal.  She receives very little from the State in benefits - just under 60 pounds a month but they gave her a free pass for the trams for life!!!! - how insensitive is that!!  She also recently suffered a heart attack and is losing her sight.  She lives in severe pain and the doctor told her that will remain for life.  She told us that her only reason for living is her 16 year old grandson.  Due to the medication she is taking she has to use at least 4-5 incontinence pads daily.  Between the medical bills and the cost of the pads she was so desperate that she put a request in the local paper asking for help with supply of pads.   She said she was ashamed to have to resort to this and she had received a minimal amount since the advert..  We rang her,  purchased a large pack (but which will only last her a week)and took them round with some clementines, blankets and shoe box gifts for her and her grandson.  She was in tears and thanked us.  We told her it was God's provision and she gave Him all the thanks.  We did not take any photos of this case for obvious reasons.    I will leave some private funds for Adina to purchase some more pads for her.  I will talk to Jackie about including her on the Widows Mite Project - not for food because her son feeds her but for what the real need is.  Please please if there is anyone out there who can help then contact me.   This is a dear lady who needs our help.  


The next stops were to 2 really poor  gipsy families with shoe boxes for the children.  One family we visited last week but we needed extra boxes and the other was the lady who regularly goes through the refuse bins outside this apartment block.  You may recall a story I did on her last week. They live  in the very poor area of Checheci not far from here.  There were 10 in the family living in 1 room.  What came across to me was the love the grandparents had for their children and grand children.  Again they were giving thanks to God for their provision of shoe box gifts, clementines and cookies.

Then Adina and I went to the Baby Hospital where we are not allowed to take photos.  I have felt guilty that,  because of my tight Pre-Christmas schedule here this is the only visit I have made this trip but I give thanks that friends Jodie and Kathleen were here for 10 days working at the baby hospital and with disabled children.    Today there were 8 abandoned babies ranging from around 1 - 9 months, most very small for their age and underweight.   One of the oldest, Maria was very sick with chest problems.    We were indeed blessed to have some value time with them just giving them cuddles and talking and singing to them.  We also gave them their lunch bottles with teats larger than life .  What can I say about conditions without going into detail - very little change since last year.  Please pray for these little treasures - they are all beautiful in God's eyes.

On leaving the hospital we got a call from Pastor Jackie.  She was in the city and came across homeless "I"whom I wrote about previously.  She was begging outside a food store - was cold, soaking wet and had been drinking.  Jackie had called an ambulance and asked us to come and help.  She was in bad shape and obviously has a mental health problem.  She is known to the ambulance service and initially they were not overly sympathetic but after Jackie and Adina talked to them at length they agreed to take her but of course she refused to go with the crew!!  Eventually after much persuasion Jackie and I helped her into the ambulance.  Jackie went home for her ID papers which she holds and Adina went to the hospital.  They had to pay the ambulance transportation charge to get her to a psychiatric hospital tomorrow.  We just pray that she does not abscond from there as previously because she so...o badly needs treatment.  We are here to love people in all circumstances so please pray for her..

As we are both leaving shortly Jackie (for Christmas in America) and I (for Wales) we  had been due to meet another girl that we have both supported for years.  With Jackie tied up at the hospital I met with "M"  who once lived with me for 3 months.  I gave her our presents and a shoe box gift.   We went to a Fast Food place and enjoyed a meal together whilst reminiscing about the good times we had when she lived with me.  These, however were mixed with some challenges ones!!!    I am pleased however, that she continues to go to Church.  "M" insisted on walking  me back to my apartment and was in floods of tears on saying goodbye. Even though she is a challenging case my heart bled for her.   She so needs to be loved.    Poor girl she has had such a hard life and no love from her family but I give thanks that she has a small apartment funded by Pastor Jackie who will never abandon her.

Well it is time to do some packing and get my accounts finalised.

On behalf of myself, the family, all our Trustees, Pastor Jackie, Adina and the rest of the team out here, we thank you for your love and support during 2012.  We all wish you a Happy Christmas and a New Year full of God's blessings.

In the love of Jesus
Irene


No comments: