Sunday 9 December 2012

Will I make it to Church?

Well it continued to snow throughout the night and we awoke to several inches with drifting as the fine snow flakes continued to fall.  I looked out of my window and thought it will need a miracle for Pastor Jackie (who lives in the village of Sofronea - about 5 miles out of the city towards the Hungarian border) to be able to get in and travel in a different direction (about 15 miles) to the village of Vinga.  However with her 4 x 4 Jackie does not rule out the possibility at this stage and decides to review the situation at 11 am.  After checking on road conditions in both villages Jackie was forced to cancel church for today.  In such situations, elders Leontin and Marius are more than capable of running a service if people arrive on foot.

The Theatre
I am up and about early and my host, Maria is getting dressed to go to her Baptist Church within walking distance.  I look out of the window and see her slowly picking her way through the deep snow.  If she can do it then I am determined to make it to Metanoie Church across the city. I love walking but I guess it could be equivalent of  2 miles to get there - not a problem ordinarily but walking in heavy snow was a little different.  Thank you to friend Christine who has loaned me a pair of boots after my 11 yr old pair that I keep here fell apart on Friday!!!.I ventured out to find people shovelling snow everywhere to make paths but most had abandoned getting their cars out.  A few were however trying but skidding everywhere in the side streets. I was surprised at the depth of snow as I went to investigate  whether the trams were running - there was no-one at the closest station but I decided to wait.  Some cars were running and the city roads obviously had been salted to some degree.   Eventually another lady joined me at the stop as the snow continued to fall.   Out came my camera on route and I got a few good shots.   Hey Presto after about 15 minutes along came No. 3 tram and we proceeded to the city.  Bit more negotating the drifts as I walked the last leg to Church.   There were around 500 people present who must have felt the same determination that I felt  to worship our Lord and Saviour on the Sabbath.


The Praise and Worship (with a huge band)  was so uplifting and touched me in the spirit preparing my heart for another good Word.  I sang my heart out.  As usual I got my head phones for translation but the batteries soon ran out.  A sound man sitting close by realised what had happened as I abandoned them  and promptly got me another set but the light on this was on amber and that one soon gave up on me too.  Well Lord there is only one thing for it, I will continue with the study of Exodus 17 myself and pick up on some of what Cristi Borbosu, the Senior Pastor is saying.    It was very hot in the Church and fatigue overcame me as the service was ending.  I am not getting enough sleep and with Vinga service cancelled I decided to get some rest after lunch.  But first I had to get back home.  Out came the camera for a few more shots - I promised you I would get more pictures of some of the beautiful buildings in the city and I managed a few.  The main roads are by now more passable with care.
Primarie (City Hall)

Parliamentary Elections are today (yes Sunday!!!) being held in Romania and Polling Stations are open from 7 am to 10 pm - I am wondering how many people will vote in such weather conditions.  I understand that there are 22 candidates - many independent!!  There are Romanian Flags everywhere and many posters but  less flyers than back home.

No comments: