Monday 5 December 2011

Baby Hospital and Detention Centre

It was one of the days when we are not allowed cameras in sensitive places.  This afternoon Christine and I spent several special hours with the abandoned babies.  Today we spread ourselves around 6 adorable  little ones who were a delight.  We had lots of smiles but we nearly passed out in the heat!!!  I am not sure how the babies cope.  One was in a confined space in a small backroom and I sneakily opened the window a few times because my tongue was hanging out and I was afraid the baby would become dehydrated.  Then a nurse arrived with a bottle of boiled water, sugar and very finely grated carrot which kept getting stuck in the teat.  Well little Nicoleta was so thirsty she gulped down half the bottle and then firmly decided she hated it and was having no more!!!  I tried every trick in the book (from my experience as a mum!!) but there was no way she was opening her mouth - oh she made me smile!!!  

There were several other mothers on the ward with their sick babies and I had the opportunity to have a chat with many.   Because we were moving on to another commitment in the evening we had a lot of bags.  This coupled with the fact that we were foreigners always makes us a target for thieves.  There were several occasions today when a group of young gipsy women were targeting our bags but I had to be one step ahead.

With the little ones on the top floor settled we went downstairs where little Denisa was in the most terrible state in her cot.  She had had diarrhea and was desperate for a change of nappy.  It took me ages to clean her up - her little bottom was sore and so I treated it.  She was grateful for a long cuddle when we finished. By the end of the afternoon the light grew dim and  there appeared to be a problem with the lights which is not unusual.    Lord , I hope we made a difference today in the few hours we spent with these little gems.   After leaving we set off on foot in the rain to meet up with Bogdan and Peter. After walking in the rain for about a mile on dimly lit pavements we finally arrived at the Detention Centre.

For the past month, Bogdan. who is training as a Youth Pastor and who is on Pastor Jackie's staff has been visiting and befriending young people at this Centre  in the City and tonight we joined him.  We spent much time with 5 boys and later 2 girls.  Our aim tonight was to show them love and to build up a relationship with them.  We took along coke and tangerines.  First we had an introductions time where we spoke first and then gave them the opportunity to ask questions.. The questions were really interesting and one asked me how much Romanian I spoke so I went into conversation with him and asked him to mark me - yippee - I got a 10!!!  off to a good start here I thought.  Then I invited them to make some colourful bookmarks (which I had prepared earlier) in the day.  I had brought over a real variety of materials from Wales.  Soon there was much concentration as they carefully designed them.    Their creations were beautiful.  We so look forward to joining them again next week.

No comments: