Saturday 3 December 2011

Back among the precious abandoned babies!

I am back on air after a few technical  (which are ongoing) with the wireless connection.  Also there have been problems with my Romanian simcard. Unfortunately I left my Romanian simcard at home and had to purchase another one here.  I explained  that in addition to making calls here in Romania I needed to text and occasionally phone internationally and she assured me it was part of the deal I purchased - but alas no and so I am having to pay an additional cost equivalent to 4 pounds today to open up my lines of communication again!! Well its Saturday and I have a morning free to try and catch up on my admin.  

Security has tightened up at the baby hospital and so I had to pray that I would be allowed in yesterday without an up to date  Romanian medical report.  I went along in faith that all would be resolved.  I also took along Christine who was not known to staff and we prayed for free entry in  that Dr. Junta, the Chief Doctor, who knew me would be available.  I entered the hospital and knocked his door leaving Christine in the hallway and was touched by his warm welcome.  He is one of the old brigade and retires next year.   We had a long chat and he told me I was welcome at the hospital at any time and there would be no problem with any other volunteers I wanted to bring along.  If I was approached by any members of staff then I was to tell them that he had personally authorised my entry.  Praise God - we give him all the thanks.

Christine and I spent several hours on the top floor (we will visit the ground floor next week) caring for 2 beautiful abandoned babies called Nicoleta and Maria.  They were beautiful and its hard to imagine how anyone would want to abandon them but having lived in this country and seen its needs I have to understand.  Sure there are parents out there who have no love for their children and discard them but there are also parents who do love their children but simply can't afford to feed them and so hand them to the State hoping that they will be cared for either in a children's home or better still be adopted.

We give thanks for our precious time with both babies.  It is always difficult to estimate their ages due to lack of nutrition but I would say that N was around 8 months and Maria 3 months.   Despite their circumstances and lack of care their little personalities were evident.  N was a live wire doing rolly pollys but had little strength in her leg -   she spends  a lot of time rocking in her cot.  She had the most incredibly beautiful eyes and long eyelashes.  She was obviously not used to cuddles and I could not help but wonder about her past because she did not want to be cooched.   Little Maria was different - she loved to be cradled and cried when we put her down.  Staff came round with drinks of sugar, water and squeezed carrots for both babies.  The sizes of the holes in the teats were as usual a problem.

We give thanks for our English friend, Kathleen who supplies lovely colourful bedware and toys for the children.  I also brought in some supplies this trip such as toiletries, dummies and toys.  We also have around 50 baby Christmas boxes en route to Romania.  We are unable to take cameras into the hospital and I am having to be cautious in my writing.   We enjoy an excellent relationship with management and this must be maintained if we want to continue to support these precious gifts from God.   We had a blessed afternoon and pray that we make a difference for God.

I will write more later about how Adina has been expanding this ministry in helping many poor mothers in desperate  need as they leave the hospital.

No comments: