Wednesday 14 December 2011

Comlosul Mare Widows

I woke very early this morning and after doing my blog I was reflecting on my trip and it hit me that I am leaving in 7 days time and felt choked at what I am leaving behind.  I know that my life is now back in Wales and I have a family there that I love dearly and commitments that are also dear to my heart but this place and its needs are such a part of my life.  I have made a commitment in my heart that I will spend more time in Romania next year.    Then it was"God - what do you have in store for me today?".


Nothing could have prepared me for the  day that I had among the widows of Comlosul Mare, a village in the Judet of Timisoara.  The day started with Danny Luca, the son of my hosts and Adina's brother taking me to the city (an hour's drive).  The car was fully loaded with Christmas boxes, blankets and slippers.  On the outstkirts of the city everything was transferred to  Pastor Vlad's car and he and I set out for the village of Comlosul Mare, about a 45 minute drive away.  I have been blessed to know Vlad since 2005 and Wayne and I were at his wedding in 2007.   Pastor Jackie has been mentoring Vlad for many years and he runs the Widows Mite Project in Timisoara for Jackie.  The Judet (State) of Timisoara is large and the widows are spread out in many remote villages, many of which are a considerable distance apart, some along very bumpy roads and even tracks.    To get around all 22 widows would have been impossible in 1 day and so we decided to concentrate on one village, Comlosul Mare and to spend value time with the 7 widows who lived there and to pray for them.


I cannot describe the mixture of emotions I felt today during my time with these ladies and hearing more about their individual lives. The difficulties they face daily are quite overwhelming and I could write a complete blog on each lady and it would certain challenge your heart.    Every one of them has health problems due to lack of a proper diet over the years and  being unable to access proper health or dental care due to lack of funds.  The only way they keep warm is by wearing layers of clothes serve many vegetables and fruit for the winter months.  Some have chickens and one today had 3 small pigs.    One of the biggest things for them is loneliness, coping with ill-health and not having enough money to buy their medication.  But when you ask them what their biggest need is they all say - wood for the winter because everyone is fearful of the cold.   We give thanks that sufficient funds arrived from the States again this year to buy a supply of wood for each widow.     I was giving thanks today that the weather is unbelievable mild for the time of year here but we know there is January and February to get through.yet.

Today we delivered their Christmas boxes, blankets and slippers.  Vlad will buy and deliver their Christmas food parcels next week.  You should have seen their faces when they saw the gifts, especially when the bag of slippers came out!!!!  Praise God there was a suitable size pair for everyone.  We were still visiting in the dark and even then I was reluctant.to leave.  These people have so little but they  are so humble, hospitable and thankful.

One of them, who belonged to the Pentecostal Church sobbed and said that she was so ashamed that her 2 living sons did not even visit her yet foreigners did so much to help her with food, wood and Christmas gifts.   The pain that she felt about her sons not caring  touched my soul.  I told her that what she received was God's provision - we were simply being used and were blessed to serve.    Another beautiful Christian widow on the project whom we did not visit today has 10 children and none of them help her - one even took her garden and part of her house.

All the houses are made of mud bricks and all are in need of repairs.  I feel a huge desire to bring out a Christian team of builders to carry out some essential work and will discuss with Pastor Jackie.  This is a massive project which desperately needs extra funds to provide the essentials but also to help with medical needs.   Some of the ladies I met today had a pension  equivalent to 80 pounds a month out of which  their medication cost around 20 pounds!!  Thank you Lord for your provision in our own lives making it possible for us to help with some essential medical needs during our visits.

Bless  you to Vlad for your heart  and for doing the driving today.  I had such a blessed day.

Anyone with a heart for old people would have their lives changed forever if they saw how these precious people live.  Please contact me if you can help in any way.  A lot of people giving just 5 pounds per month could make a huge difference to lives.  Please please contact me if you can help with funding or if you would like to arrange a fund raising event.  I will give you all the support you need with advertising etc.  Please also contact me with any fund raising ideas you may have.  

No comments: