Monday 12 December 2011

Shoe boxes and more shoe boxes!!!!

These 4 boys are happy
in their new home 
Today our schedule for my final week began in earnest. I was up really early preparing for the week ahead.  First stop for Adina and I was the hospital to collect some formal discharge papers for Jackie and to take some chocolates from her to the staff on the ward plus some flowers for the doctor who had taken charge of her case.    All the corridors were full of people and the place is rather grim.  Then it was off to the garage with Adina's car to fix some problems before going out to Sofronea to Pastor Jackie's home to sort out more shoe boxes ready for the many distributions this week.  Looking at our schedule this morning it is only with God's help that we will get it all done.
My former neighbour Nelu
was thrilled with his new slippers
and Christmas "Grampy" Box

At 4 pm I had a pre-arranged  dental appointment to sort out a large missing filling in one of my front teeth.  After my experience last time at a Romanian dentist I requested an injection and Praise God it didn't hurt but there was a problem with the suction tube.  Then they decided to give my teeth a clean and an assistant did the usual scraping in between each tooth which nearly made me jump out of the chair!!  I ended up with a mouth full of blood after this operation then it was onto the cleaning which was a bed of roses after what I had just experienced!  The total bill was 30 pounds which surprised me.

We then called at my former rented home which is owned and now occupied by Baptist Pastor, Cornel and his family of 4 fostered boys from a  Children's Home which I am familiar with.  I also had the opportunity of meeting up with my former neighbour, Cornel's father-in-law.  It was a joy to greet Nelu and to see his new rooms at the rear of the main house.  He was thrilled to see me and to receive his "Grampy" box and slippers from Wales. He was excited when I showed him on a tea towel where I lived.

Then it was off to the Detention Centre to meet all the children we spent value time with last week.  We distributed their boxed gifts which they were thrilled to receive.  As per policy we are unable to take photos in this establishment.  Peter kindly brought along a projector and showed a slide show of the RR Annual Sponsored Walk and they were fascinated with the Welsh scenery.    Then one of the girls from the Children's Home showed a slide show of her stay in Wales at an Eco Project founded by the Prince's Trust.  Before we left under the supervision of the night shift assistant they sang us an Orthodox Church traditional carol.  Even the Security Guard is lifted by our visits.
Relaxing in the Luca's lounge
with their boxes

Back at the apartment  the Lucas were hosting T (former Mocrea patient) and his wife Tatyana.  Another delicious meal.  We are now getting to the stage of inviting children and families from the city here to the apartment so we ensure all the boxes are distributed to those who need them.  A lovely little family who struggle to survive and who are relatives of the Luca's neighbours came to collect their boxes.  This was a first for them and they were so happy.  We were blessed to see their faces as they went through each item in the box.

 By 10.30 last night I was flagging, did most of my text blogging but crashed before inserting these pictures.  It is now 2.30 am and I am up getting this done because in a few hours we are up and away again on another full day.

No comments: